List of Christian Churches in Baghdad - Iraq
By: Dr. Ghassan Hanna Shathaya (1999)
The following listing of Christian churches in Baghdad - Iraq, was
compiled from an article by Mr. Salam Marcus in issue 2 of "Beth Nahrain"
magazine of Paris, France in which he reviewed Fr. Putros Hadad book "Baghdad's
Churches and its Monasteries". The listing is re-arranged according to
Church denominations and for easy referencing:
Chaldean Church (Catholic denomination):
1. "Pregnant without Sin" (in reference
to Virgin Mary), built in 1921 - Camp Gelani.
2. Mar Aphram, built in 1940s - Shalcheya.
3. Mar Yousif, built in 1956 - Eastern Karada.
4. Mar Youhanan the Baptist, built in 1960 - alDura.
5. Holy Family, built in 1960 - Aurfaleya (Betaween)
6. The Virgin- Prayer's Lord (Sultana alWardeya), built in 1960 - Karada Khareg.
7. Holy Heart of Jesus, built in 1964 - Hay alWehda.
8. Mar Eliya of Heyra, built in 1964 - Hay alAmeen.
9. Mar Yousif- Protector of the Workers, built in 1965 - Hay alYarmook
10. Mar Yaqoub- Bishop of Nisibin, built in 1965 - alDura
11. The passing of the Virgin, built in 1966 - alMansour
12. Mar Toma the Disciple, built in 1966 - Nereya and Gayara
13. Mother of Continuous Help, built in 1966 - Hay anNedhal and alSadoon
14. The Virgin- Protector of Crops, built in 1968 - alBayya'
15. Mar Gewergis, built in 1969 - Hay Sumer/New Baghdad
16. Virgin Mary, built in 1971 - Palestine Street
17. Martyr Mar Baythoon, built in 1978 - Baladeyat/7-April
18. Holy Trinity, built in 1978 - Habebeya/7-April
19. Mar Marey, built in 1980 - Hay Beydha/alBanook
20. The Disciples Mar Putros and Mar Polos, built in 1986 - alDura
21. Congratulating the Virgin, built in 1989 - Hay alMuthana/Suq alThelatha
22. The Rising, built in 1994 - Hay alMualemeen/alMashtal
23. Mar Polos- The Disciple, built ??, al-Zafaraneya
Assyrian (include Assyrian, Assyrian Evangelical, and Old Assyrian):
1. Virgin Mary (Mar Kura), built in
1928 -Karada Maryem
2. Mar Qaradagh, built in 1946 - Camp Gelani
3. Evangelical Assyrian, built ??, Sahat alTayaran
4. Mar Gewergis, built in 1961 - alDura
5. Mar Odishu Nokhreta, built in 1972 - Elwiya
6. Virgin Mary, built in 1970 - Neyreya and alGayara
7. Mar Marey, built in 1985 - alAmeen
8. Mar Zaya, built in ?? - alDura
9. Virgin Mary (Old Assyrian Church), built in 1988 - Hay alReyadh
Syriac (include Orthodox and Catholic):
1. The Disciples Mar Putros and Mar
Polos (Orthodox), built in 1964 - Industerial Street
2. Mar Yousif (Catholic), built in 1965 - alMansour
3. Lady of Salvation (Catholic), built in 1968 - Eastern Karada
4. Mar Maty (Orthodox), built in 1981 - Hay Sumer/Ghadeer
5. Mar Toma (Orthodox), built in 1978 - alMansour/Hay alMuhandeseen
6. Mar Behnam (Catholic), built in 1982 - Hay Sumer/alQanat
7. Mar Behnam (Orthodox), built in ?? - Hay alMechanic/alDura
Armenian (include Catholic and Orthodox) :
1. Holy Heart of Jesus (Catholic), built
in 1938 - Eastern Karada
2. St. Gregor the Illluminant (Orthodox), built in 1956 - Sahat alTayran
3. St. Garabeet (Orthodox), built in 1973 - Hay alReyadh
Melkite, known commonly as "Room" (include Orthodox, Catholic and Latin):
1. Mar Anderaous (Orthodox), built in
1940's - Camp Gelani
2. Room Catholic, built in 1962 - Karada Dakhel
3. St. Jerjis (Orthodox), built in 1976 - Hay alReyadh
4. Cathedral of St. Joseph (Latin), built in 1965 - Hay alWehda/Elwiya
1. Adventest Church, built in 1958 - alNedhal Street
1. National Evangelical, built in 1954
- Hay alNedhal
| Home Page | Chaldean | Church | News | Forum | Resources | Library | Info. Center | Tel Keppe | Towns | Monasteries | Photos | Links